Sunday, July 4, 2010

The Start of Something Beautiful

What a great start to worship in Blue Springs! I had been joking that moving from 2 services in Warrensburg to 4 services in Blue Springs meant that I would have to work twice as hard- 4 hours a week instead of 2. In reality, my fears had been more mundane- would I be able to keep the different services straight, and would my voice hold out?

The services were all beautiful. Each service has its own personality and its own group of committed people. The music at each service was outstanding, verifying what I had been told about the quality of musicians in Blue Springs. Amazingly, about 600 folks showed up on the 4th of July weekend. They were warm and welcoming in countless ways. And, my voice made it through each service, thanks to the tea with honey that I kept drinking all morning.

What has surprised me most is Sunday afternoon. Typically, Sunday afternoons are made for napping at my house. In spite of the rigorous weekend, including leaving the house at 6 a.m. this morning, I have been unable to nap today. I am simply too excited about the great day that we had! God is at work in some powerful ways in Blue Springs, and it felt great to be a part of it this weekend.

Rather than sleeping away this afternoon, I have savored this day. I have thanked some people (although not nearly enough) for their part in making today the day it was. Mainly, though, I am thankful to God for a beautiful beginning.