Thursday, July 1, 2010

Lasagne as Soul Food

The last few days have been quite full. Several members of my now-former congregation drove my office (books, etc.) to my new church on Tuesday. It seemed somehow fitting to be following them out of Warrensburg. They were wonderful, and actually carried my boxes in for me. I gave them a brief tour, and then they left. And there I was. It was reminiscent of being dropped off by my parents at college. As they drove away, I had this sense of “Now what?”

Everyone that I have met here has been warm and friendly. The tasks of settling into a new church, however, can be downright tiring. Any usually-simple acts are complicated by having to figure out how to get hooked up to the internet or the office network printer. My desktop is a mess. Books need to be unpacked, files need to be filed into different drawers. My phone is telling me I have a message in voicemail, but I have no idea how to access voicemail, and I have no clue as to whether the message is for me or my predecessor.

Right when the details of this move threatened to overwhelm, a Sunday school class here showed up in my office with dinner for last night. I made the trip home with a Styrofoam chest squeaking promisingly in the back. Last night, my weary self- and family- were nourished by delicious lasagna, salad, rolls, and a dessert too yummy to be named. My soul was fed, and I was newly grateful to be coming to a church like Blue Springs.

Now what? I’m not entirely sure, but I do know that I’ll have strength for the journey. Sometimes, God’s grace tastes a lot like lasagna.