Monday, July 19, 2010

Newbies

This past weekend at church, I asked at each service for a show of hands as to how many lifelong United Methodists were present. I then asked for a show of hands as to how many people had been United Methodist for less than a couple of years. I simply wanted to get an idea of the makeup of the group to whom I was about to preach a sermon on Methodism. I got sidetracked by my innocent question. At the first service, there was not a single person who ‘fessed up to being a newbie. I couldn’t help it. The first time it happened, I thought, “We’re not doing a very good job of bringing in people.” The thought made its way to my lips, the microphone I wear is very good, and so everyone heard my thought. I felt a little bad about saying something like that out loud, especially since it was only my third week there.

I had some time to think about it before the next service. The next time it happened, I said it a little louder. At two of our four services this weekend, there was no one who had not been a UM for less than two years. The other services did have a healthier representation of new people, and, admittedly, those services are at times more likely to attract visitors.

It is easy to be around people who are like us and like us. My comfort zone is always to be with people I know. One of the reasons we go to church is because it is comfortable. We know what it will be like and who will be there. I get that. If I could, I would want it to stay that way, too.

However, we’ve got some great good news to tell. There are so many people who could use a little good news in their lives right about now. Staying in my comfort zone will keep me comfortable, but it won’t do a thing for anyone else.