Thursday, May 27, 2010

Still Here

Things have hit, suddenly, the summer slow down. Memorial Day weekend is upon us, and things at church are slow. Throw in the natural movement of the end of a pastorate, and things are slow in my world. People aren’t talking to me about current issues or future plans much. I’m only preaching 2 of the 5 remaining Sundays in Warrensburg. I wish I were packing my house for a move, but it hasn’t sold yet. Things are unusually slow. But- I am still here!

I heard that it was announced at a church meeting the other day that, since the incoming pastor’s first Sunday was scheduled for the July 4 holiday, he was going to have June 27 as his first Sunday instead. Ummm. No. Every pastor in Missouri moves on the same day. Which means that every incoming pastor in Missouri, including yours truly, will have to deal with the Fourth of July weekend in their new pulpits.

I’m looking forward to June 27 around here. I’ve been working on the sermon already. It’s called “The Last Sermon.” We’re going to have a lunch afterwards, and there will even be cheese grits on the menu. It should be a great day! And, until then, I’m still here. I really am.