Wednesday, May 19, 2010

When is Coffee Worth $4?

When is a cup of coffee worth $4? With the amazing growth of Starbucks, this question has become more prominent in recent years. Some people refuse, on principle, to spend $4 on a cup of coffee. Others will drive 30 miles each way for the privilege of drinking some of their coffee. I am not going to take a position either way with regards to Starbucks, besides to acknowledge that I do enjoy it when the opportunity arises.

But here in Warrensburg, there is a place where a cup of coffee or iced soy chai latte or anything else is worth that much. There is a local coffee shop that offers much more than just coffee or free internet. They offer community. I know that, if I go by at a certain time each morning, I can be fairly assured of seeing some of my favorite people. If I go by on Tuesdays, I can catch some of the nicest women I know. And pretty much anytime that I walk in, I will see someone I know.

The coffee and tea are very good there and worth the price. The chance to be in community and to make connections- well, as they say on the commercials- priceless. Whether it is in a coffee shop or a church, we all need those places to be with other humans.