Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Sneior Discount

Senior Discount. This morning, at a chain restaurant in Lee’s Summit that shall remain nameless (but rhymes with “gherkins”), something happened to me for the First Time Ever. The waitress handed me a menu and pointed out the “senior specials” on the back. The menu even said, “for those 55 or older.” I am 8 years too young to qualify for that menu!

Initially, I was kind of hurt. I don’t think that I am particularly vain, but I also don’t think that I look like I qualify for a senior discount. I was about to be quite indignant, but then something caught my eye. The eggs benedict that I had been about to order off of the regular menu were on this menu- but as a smaller serving and a smaller price. Hmmm. What had initially been slightly insulting now seemed like an opportunity.

As I dug into my senior-sized plate of eggs benedict, I decided happily to myself that growing old really does have its benefits. Why fight it? I’ll be sure to open the next solicitation that AARP sends me, so that the benefits can roll in!