Monday, November 1, 2010

Politics and Pastoring

It is an interesting season in which to be a pastor. As the level of political hyperbole reaches a fever pitch, I find myself fairly silenced. There are times when I see a political posting on Facebook that makes me smile or chuckle, and I’m tempted to push “like.” I have a church member running as part of a political party, and a member of a former church running as part of another political party. I like them both as people, but pushing “like” for either can be seen as a partisan statement. There are times when I have had to bite my tongue. (Some of you know that is not always an easy task for me.)

It is not that I do not have strongly-held political convictions. I do. I will be exercising my right to vote tomorrow morning, and I will be watching the election returns with definite hopes for the outcomes.

However . . .

My role right now is not to push my political convictions onto others. My role is to talk about faith and life and hope and God in such a way that it might speak to the souls of people. Not every person that I have the privilege of speaking such high truths to will share my same political worldview. I would hate for someone to be unable to hear the Gospel from me because of something as transient as politics. You can be Republican, Democrat, Tea Party, Libertarian, or even part of “The Rent is Too Damn High” Party (which really does exist), and you will still be welcome in worship with us.

Other colleagues of mine (including my bishop) have spoken eloquently about the unhealthy climate that passes for political discourse in these days. I would echo their words and encourage us to treat each other with love and respect, even when we are talking about our political differences. Beyond that, however, there is not much more that I have to say publicly. Except for this:

Be thankful for the gift of a democratic vote. Use it well, vote your convictions boldly. And, when all of the shouting is over, let’s get back to the important business of sharing God’s love with the person next to you. Even if they voted differently than you did.