Saturday, October 23, 2010

Good and Faithful Servant

Although I have been a part of many, many funerals, today is one of the few times that I have officiated at a funeral for someone with “Rev.” in front of their name. I had the chance to know Rev. Marvin Fortel only for the few months that I have been in Blue Springs, but that limited acquaintance has been a joy.

The only reason that I can blog about him is that I am fairly certain that Harriet, his wife, does not read these writings. I have rarely met a more modest couple. Even today’s funeral is supposed to be a modest, dignified, and simple affair. I will do my best to abide by their wishes, but I have no control over the number of people who attend. Harriet’s expectations are that only family and a few others will be there. Based on the phone calls that we have had at church, she is mistaken.

My visits with Marvin were a delight. I got to hear some wonderful stories about his life in ministry. For instance, I got to hear about the time when Martin Luther King, Jr. had been assassinated. He partnered with the African-American leaders in his community for a peaceful march. The members of his church were less than pleased to see the pastor of their church splayed across the front page of the paper the next day, co-leading the march. I got to hear about appointments that were easy and joyful, and those that were less so, as is true for every pastor in our system.

Best of all, as pastors are wont to do when together, we talked about current church issues and politics. He had a marvelous take on the whole Koran-burning mess that still makes me smile to think about. (I would tell you, but I still see Harriet elbowing him, saying “Oh, Marvin!”) I always left his house feeling better than when I arrived, and I believe that there are many people out there who would say the exact same thing about his years in ministry.

One day, our associate pastor made a request when visiting him. Rather than Choong-Ho praying for him, would Marvin offer a blessing for him? Marvin did, and both of them were affected by that experience. It was an Elisha/Elijah moment, and I believe that Choong-Ho’s ministry will be more powerful for the blessing of a man such as Marvin. I wish I had thought of it myself. Failing that, however, I am certain that I have indeed been blessed by my too-short friendship with an amazing man.

Today, we will lay Marvin to rest. May his witty, engaged, energetic, forward-thinking, compassionate, obedient, and loving spirit continue on in all of those whom he has blessed in his ministry.