Monday, June 21, 2010

Completion

Yesterday was my penultimate Sunday in Warrensburg. (Gee, I’ve always hoped for a good occasion to use such a hefty word!) In one way, though, it was a day of completion. When I arrived here 5 years ago, we were on the cusp of a capital campaign to raise money to do something with our outdated, inaccessible facility. That “something” turned into a beautiful addition and a renovation of our entire facility, including the sanctuary. As we designed and drew and redesigned, there were some things that we placed on a “not right now” list, due to cost. One of those items was a cross to be hung on the back wall of the chancel.

On Sunday, we dedicated the newly-installed cross. The cross was given in memory of faithful woman, Elsa Engelmann, who sang in our church on her 100th and 101st birthdays. The cross is beautiful, made of the same oak that fills our sanctuary, with an inlaid brass channel. It is simple and classic, and it adds so much to our worship space. During the doxology, I found myself looking up at that cross. Seeing it there adds such a sense of reverence.

And so now I look at the sanctuary and can say, “It is complete.” There is another improvement, yet to come after I leave, but this cross completes what was on our original drawings, part of our original hopes and dreams. And I am thankful for the ways that God does indeed fulfill hopes and dreams. God works in us and truly completes each of us.