Monday, February 3, 2014

The Slow Line



If everyone was endowed with a superpower, then mine would be Finding the Slowest Checkout Line.  I am able to do it unfailingly, usually in exact proportion to how much of a rush I am in. Sunday at Costco was no different. 

After a full morning at church, followed by lunch with my husband, I decided to go to Costco.  Costco on Sunday afternoon is always a mob scene, but I needed to get a few things before the next version of winter hits tomorrow. It was as crowded as I expected. On the good news side of things, I was able to see most of my congregation while I gathered the few things I needed.  (We Methodists tend to have the same ideas at the same time.) I headed to the checkout lane and ended up in a line so short that I was able to start unloading onto the belt immediately.

Engage superpower.

My cart was about half unloaded when I realized that the conveyor belt was not conveying.  I looked up to see that we were waiting for a manager to help with the family in front of me. The manager was, unusually, nowhere to be seen. And so we waited. The manager arrived and curtly explained some membership issue to the family. Clearly, English was not this family’s first language, but things were resolved enough that the conveyor belt started moving merrily along. I resumed my unloading. And then the belt came grinding to a halt as I heard Len, our checker, telling the family that he wanted to get the manager again. This time, the manager came right away, and Len said, kindly, “I’m not sure this family understood what you were explaining last time. Could you do it again?” More slowly this time, the manager explained the issue.  Comprehension gleamed in their faces as they realized that they could save money with this one step that the manager was telling them. They happily followed his advice and received back more change than they had received initially.

In spite of my impatience, I was pleased for the family. And I realized that, during my waiting time, I had noticed that the folks behind me had some items that looked much yummier than what was in my basket. We struck up a friendly conversation as we waited together, although they never did offer me one of their chocolates.  A church member that I hadn’t seen earlier came up to me while I was waiting.  And, when it was my turn to check out with Len, he took extra time to get a bag to put over the fresh flowers I had picked up on impulse. “It’s cold out there, we don’t want them to get hurt,” he explained as he bagged them up.  

As I walked out to my car, I realized what a blessing that extra time in line had been. I had gotten to talk with two new friends and a church member.  Len had taken care of one family, and he had shown that same consideration to me and my flowers. Because of those encounters, I was smiling as I weaved through the ice in the parking lot.  And it occurred it me that maybe there is something special about my superpower after all.