Monday, February 24, 2014

Parking spaces and bird poop



There is a cardinal that poops on my car every Sunday morning. Seriously, I am not imagining or exaggerating, and it has been going on for at least 6 months, probably much longer. (It took me awhile to figure out what was going on.) 

Our church has ample parking, except that, like every building constrained by the limitations of space and time, there are a limited number of spaces close to the church on Sunday morning. You can always find a place to park, but you may have to hike a bit.  Choong-Ho does a wonderful job of teaching our new member class to “park far, sit close,” thereby leaving the prime church real estate of front-row parking and back-row seating to visitors, and I quote him frequently. Since I try not to ask people not to do things that I’m not willing to do myself, I park in the back corner of the lot by the recycling bins on Sundays. 

Every Sunday morning (literally every week) when I pull into my spot, there is a red cardinal sitting on the rearview mirrors of the other two cars that park with me in the hinterlands. The bird flies into the trees as I pull in, and by the time I return to my car in the afternoon, there is a trail of bird poop on my car beneath my rearview mirror.  Every week.

Yesterday, the cardinal was nowhere to be seen when I arrived at church. I actually found myself worrying a bit about this little fellow. When I walked out to my car after church, though, there he was. Sitting on my rearview mirror. As if to greet me, he pooped on my car and flew away while I watched. 

I’ve been trying to make sense of my avian friend’s actions.  It seems really unusual that a bird would be so regular about these weekly visits.  If I belonged to a different faith heritage, perhaps I would consider that my father has reincarnated into his favorite species and is communicating with me in the only way now available to him. While I’m not sure exactly when this bird started visiting my car, it’s possible that it coincides with my father’s death.  However, if that really is the reality, I’ll have to get on the other side of eternity before I’m convinced.

My main thinking is much more pedestrian, almost pre-schoolishly petulant.  “It’s just not fair. I park all this way away from the church, putting others’ needs first, hiking through an often-icy parking lot in a skirt and my church shoes.  And what do I get? Weekly bird poop!  Where is my gold medal?  After all, I’m being selfless and generous and Christian, right?”

Apparently, I do pre-schooler pretty well. At a local business that I go to most days, the parking lot is crowded.  However, the owners of another business inside the building park their two cars in the closest available spots. How do I know? They have vanity plates on their cars that have the business’ name on them.  I try to turn off my inner Pharisee, but I can’t help but think that they care more about their own comfort than the comfort of their customers. 

Right about then, when my superiority starts to run amok, the better voices in my head chime in. I know there are a lot of folks with handicap plates on their car that would exchange their disability gladly for a long walk and a little bird poop.  There are a lot worse things in this world than having to walk across a large parking lot.

In fact, I have found great blessing parking so far away. I’ve learned not to bring my laptop on Sundays, so that I don’t have to carry it so far. As I tread carefully through the icy patches, it reminds me to pray for the others who will be dealing with that same ice as they come to worship.  On my way through the building, I get a chance to peruse the parking lot for trash and make a quick walk-through to check the bathrooms.  

Which reminds me once again that I need to practice getting over myself.  There is such great joy that surrounds me every day of my life, if I’ll only see the good stuff. After all, how many folks have a personal bird to sing them into worship each week?

And if you ever wonder what car your pastor drives, it’s a cute little red Ford C-Max. You’ll know it’s mine by the bird poop underneath the rearview mirrors.