Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Time Keeps on Slippin'



Time is a funny thing. It can be measured in so many different ways, by so many different yardsticks.

Three years ago this week, we moved into our Blue Springs home.  (We commuted a few weeks while waiting for our house to sell.) However, I’m now in my 4th year of ministry in Blue Springs, which means that I’m busily planning my 4th Christmas Eve here. So it either feels like 3 years in terms of house or 4 years in terms of ministry.  Either way, life before Blue Springs seems long, long ago.

A year ago, my father was coming to the end of his life on earth.  I am surprised at how much I am feeling this anniversary, and how much I am reliving last year’s events.  Each day has a mental marker for me- the day Dad went into the hospital but we thought he’d get better; the day we found out he wouldn’t recover; the last day he was alert; the last day. I am surprised at how immediate these feelings are, even a year later.

Two weeks ago, we got back from vacation.  Lazy days on the beach seem like a distant memory. My usual routine has settled itself back around me like a familiar bathrobe, and it’s hard to remember what it was like to have days structured only by the tide charts.  I realize anew how blessed I am to have days that are full of meaningful work and play. 

I'm not thinking just about how I measure the past. The future seems closer, too.  The September events are planned and underway. Ginger Avengers are busily recruiting for October’s JDRF walk.  Christmas Eve is largely planned, and I’ve even been working on my Christmas Eve sermon.  (After all, I’m pretty sure I know the story line for that evening’s Scripture.) 

Time moves at an entirely different pace for a young child starting school.  The fifteen minutes of homework feels like an eternity, and the weekend seems forever away.  Completing this grade level and advancing to the next grade is unimaginable. 

This week in worship, I spoke about Ecclesiastes, the familiar place which says, “To everything there is a season, and a time for every purpose under heaven.”  Time itself is the locus of God’s work among us.  No matter at what speed our clocks move or what season of life that we find ourselves, God is present and bringing about purpose and meaning.