Friday, January 20, 2012

Prison

Yesterday was Jackson County Government Day with the Leadership Blue Springs group that I am a part of this year. Our morning began in the legislative chambers in downtown Kansas City, where we heard from some of the different folks who keep our county humming along. From there, it was just a short walk across the street to the Jackson County Detention Center. After sitting in a windowless classroom and hearing about the facilities, we walked through many different parts of the jail. As I walked past inmates, I couldn’t help but wonder what hope looks like to people who stay there. Even though the day was bitterly cold, it felt good to step outside. In one of those so-fast-your-head-spins transitions, our after lunch stop was Arrowhead Stadium, where we got a tour of some of the luxury boxes. We went from jail to the best seats in town in such a short period of time.

By the end of the day, my cold that had been brewing blossomed from annoying to full-fledged sickness. Today was a day spent at home, mostly in bed with blankets and Kleenex. Even as achy and slimy as I am, I think about where I was yesterday, and I am grateful to be where I am today.