Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Facebook for Oldies

They say Facebook was created for the young, but I am glad that it has been co-opted by old folks like me. I have been able, amazingly, to connect with people most of a lifetime and half a continent away. I haven’t been to the Lovett School in Atlanta since my high school graduation in 1980- well, except for a visit in the 1990’s to show my children where I went to school. (Not a single teacher remembered me.) I married and moved to the Midwest, other friends married, unmarried, remarried, moved, stayed, or moved back. Losing track was inevitable. Incredibly, through the magic of Facebook, I’m now able to share witty rejoinders with folks that I was witty with in the hallways of Lovett. I’ve found daily strength from reading a blog written by someone that I was not terribly close to in high school but value deeply now. And I have reconnected with friends that were close enough that we knew our way around each other’s houses. (Susan, I will always love your childhood home for its heated floors!)

Best of all is the chance to catch glimpses of some pretty amazing adults, having shed much of the angst of middle and high school. Who knew that we’d turn out okay? It seems that we have. None of us is perfect, and we may not have the lives we imagined in those days. But here we are, and each new person that I find feels like a new perspective, an added blessing. We’ve made it this far, and I am thankful. And glad to be back in the lives, at least partly, of (as we'd say back in the day) some pretty cool dudes and dudettes.