Sunday, April 25, 2010

A Rainy Day in Boxland

Andy and I spent a rainy Saturday afternoon down in our basement storage area, in the area we call “Boxland.” Those were the boxes of various stuff that we moved with us 5 years ago and have not touched. “If we haven’t used it in 5 years, we don’t need it” was our motto, and we made great headway. The boxes of sentimental things were sorted and consolidated, and we were even able to get rid of some things that have become decidedly less sentimental over time. (I discovered I still had some old letters from old boyfriends, even though I’ve had my current boyfriend for over 26 years.)

We found some real treasures, too. My 3rd grade Bible, presented to me at Northside UMC in Atlanta. Andy’s “last will and testament” that he wrote as a senior at Nevada High School, bequeathing funny things to the debate team. Pictures from important points in our life together.

So we packed those precious memories away, this time in waterproof bins. I’m already looking forward to a rainy afternoon in a dozen years or so, when we stumble onto these treasures again, and remember together once more. Who knows what memories we’ll add by then?