Tuesday, February 26, 2019

GC2019: Love Is My Tradition

When I left General Conference at 3 p.m. today to get home ahead of the forecast ice storm, I felt fairly confident that the Traditional Plan was not going to have an opportunity to be amended in order to pass constitutional muster. Time was running out, and I assumed that GC2019 would end up with nothing passed.
 
Instead, I listened in shock to the livestream while driving, as the Traditional Plan was passed, largely unamended and presumably unconstitutional. Further action was taken to allow for the partial dissolution of our denomination through means of “disaffiliation,” via another motion that was also declared unconstitutional earlier in the day.
 
(For those of you who haven't been keeping score, the Traditional Plan affirms our current restrictions against same-sex marriage and LGBTQIA clergy, and goes a step further to weaponize the consequences of not only disobedience but also disagreement.)
 
Here’s what I don’t know: I have no idea what it means to have passed a plan that is unconstitutional. We will gain some clarity in days ahead, but we just don’t know right now.
 
Here’s what I do know: 2/3 of US delegates were opposed to this plan. Many of the largest and strongest churches in our denomination ardently oppose this plan. Already, people are speaking out that have not spoken out before. The passage of this plan is largely a function of the global nature of the UMC and not reflective of the majority of US United Methodists.
 
I know that some of the most faithful and beloved children of God are LGBTQIA, and that the action of this General Conference does nothing to change that love. I am so sorry for the pain that has resulted from the actions of GC2019. Beloved friends, family, colleagues, and parishoners have been wounded by today’s actions. That part has been and will continue to be the hardest part to witness, and the part that I most want to fix. Right now.
 
I know that I will continue welcoming everyone into the life of the church, grateful for every opportunity to share the abundant love of an abundant God..
 
I know that tomorrow night, First UMC Blue Springs will serve a meal to hungry people in our community. I know that this weekend in worship, our young people will be leading us, and that we will rejoice as we are blessed by the future of the church. I know that we’ll keep on praying and loving and serving in Christ’s name. Together, we’ll keep doing the work of love.
 
I know that my first love is Jesus, not the UMC, and that my hope is in Christ alone.
 
And so I am hopeful this evening. Tired and a little weepy, but hopeful. I don’t know exactly what the future holds, but I know who holds the future. (I know the saying is a little trite, but tonight seems like a good night for comfort-food sayings that speak truth.)
 
We're told in 1 John, "Beloved, let us love one another, because love is from God; everyone who loves is born of God and knows God." There is no mention of "beloved, let us love one another, as long as they're (fill in the blank)." Our call is to love, and so the one thing we now to do tonight and tomorrow and the days after is to keep loving one another fully.
 
Blessings,
Sally
PS: Here is a link to a letter written by our bishop, Bishop Farr. He speaks words of wisdom, and I am grateful for his leadership tonight. https://missouri.brtapp.com/files/tables/emails/2218682/fields/attachments/52ad9efb67cf4af9b362b5989523a3c9/bishopfarrletter.pdf