Friday, February 16, 2018

Wedding Mints



“What are you making?” Andy asked, as he walked by me in the kitchen this morning, carrying his breakfast dishes.
“Cream cheese mints for Vera’s wedding.”
“That’s nice.”
“Not really. I don’t like them.” (My deepest apologies to all of the wonderful mint-makers whose mints I have been offered and eaten over the years. The first time I had one, many years ago, I didn’t know what I was eating, and the texture and the taste weren’t what I was expecting. I’ve never been able to enjoy them since that first unhappy surprise.)
Husbandly double-take. “Then why are you making them?”
“Because your mother made them for Caroline’s wedding.”
“Ahh. . .”

Grief hits at random times. My most recent visitation of grief had been in the store while I was ordering Vera’s wedding cake. The store was cram-packed full of all of the baking minutiae that real bakers (i.e. not me) desired. Near the cash register was a display of mint-making materials. As I was waiting for my cake order to be totaled, I suddenly remembered that June had made mints for Caroline’s wedding. When she had offered to make mints at the time, I recall being only mildly thrilled (remember, I don’t like the things), but they truly had added a lovely touch to the reception. Impulsively, I decided that Vera would have mints for her own wedding, and that I would make them as an homage to her grandmother.

The wedding-cake lady got me all of the equipment I would need for my mints, handed me a recipe, and walked me through it. She even gave me her cell-phone number, in case I needed mint-making advice. A few days later, I received a similar offer of assistance from an experienced mint maker in church.

I woke up early this morning and decided that today would be Mint Day. I had my printed instructions, I remembered some of what I had been told, and I figured I had it under control.  After all, I have a doctorate. Surely I could follow a recipe and make mints.

It turns out that my doctorate is in ministry, NOT in mint making, and that there is a huge difference between the two.

I did okay with the instructions until it came time for molding. It seemed fairly simple. Dust the mold with sugar, take a clump of the dough, press it into the mold, and pop it out. Repeat 144 times, and you’re done. No problem, right?

My mints did not pop out of the mold. They were recalcitrant, introverted mints who did not want to leave the confines of their mold. I might be able to squidge them out, or splort them out, or smush them out, but they did not pop out. Once a mint has been squidged, splorted, or smushed, it bears strikingly little resemblance to the heart or flower shape of the mold.

I was ready to call for expert advice, but I was thwarted by the early morning hour. I didn’t want to roust someone out of bed because of my misshapen mints. I kept soldiering along, trying different methods until things got better. After the first few dozen, I began to get the hang of it. Sort of.

It’s the thought that counts, and these mints are in memory of a loving woman who would have made them herself in heartbeat if she’d been able. As it is, I only hope that people look at them in muted candlelight, not close-up.

(And that I don’t have to eat one myself.)