Friday, June 26, 2015

The Law of the Land and the Law of the Church



 Many United Methodists church people may be wondering what today’s Supreme Court decision means for our church. It turns out that the law of the land and the law of the UMC are sometimes different things. First of all, our Discipline is clear that no United Methodist pastor can ever be forced to perform a wedding that they do not wish. Other than scheduling conflicts, I’ve only said “no” once, many years ago, to a couple whose vision for their wedding ceremony did not match my understanding of a wedding as a sacred event. They were able to find someone else to perform their ceremony in accordance with their wishes, but that person did not have to be me. Likewise, any pastor of any denomination who objects to same-sex marriage will not be forced to perform a same-sex wedding.

While no pastors can be forced to perform a wedding, United Methodist pastors can be forced NOT to perform a wedding. In the early days of my ministry, we were taught that we could only perform weddings for which there was a valid marriage license. Back in the day, same-sex marriages fell under that “valid marriage license” rule. Today, however, our Discipline goes farther and states clearly that it is a chargeable offense for clergy to perform “ceremonies that celebrate same-sex unions,” nor may anyone celebrate those unions within a United Methodist church. 

No matter what the Supreme Court has ruled, under church law I am not allowed to perform same-sex marriages.

The next General Conference, which is our only venue in which to change church law, will be next May. Delegates have been elected from Annual Conferences throughout the world. Based on what I observe, I believe that the delegates from the United States would likely vote to change church law. However, 40% of General Conference delegates will come from other countries, many of which are much more socially conservative on this issue.  I am not sure that a way forward exists in our current governance, but delegates might begin to make some changes to enable future change.

Those are the facts. What am I feeling on this historic day? I am so very proud of my nation, and I am thankful to live in a place where we find some of our greatest strength in our diversity. Being a huge fan of marriage, I’m thankful for all of the people who will now get to make a lifelong to commitment of love and fidelity to one another in a full, legal manner. Andy and I welcome you to the joy of marriage, saying, “Jump on in, the water’s fine!” 

I am deeply pained, however, in a day and age where millennials find the church increasingly irrelevant, to find myself stuck on the sidelines when people want to get married. I know good people, both gay and straight, who stay away from the church because of this issue. It is no secret that there are people of faith who are opposed to gay marriage, but it seems to be a well-guarded secret that there are people of faith who support faithful, loving marriage for all. When we are prevented from performing all marriages, the secret is kept. 

For today, though, congratulations to our nation! Congratulations to all couples, straight and gay, who seek to live in lifelong, legal commitment to one another, and may God grant all of us grace and strength and joy to live out our vows.