Saturday, February 14, 2015

Dollars, not Shades



It might be harmless fun, or it might be violence against women disguised as harmless fun. I don’t know, because I haven’t read the book or seen the movie, nor do I intend to. In general, I try to stay on top of various cultural phenomena that might be influencing the folks in my church or my community, but not this time. It’s not that my little eyes are too delicate to read such stuff,  it’s simply that I have no interest in it. After hearing from a couple of trusted reviewers, I am giving myself permission to sit this one out.

In terms of reflecting on this movie, I got nothin’.

But what I do have is fifty dollars, not shades, and I intend to donate it to a local shelter that helps women who are working to escape violence in their lives. If you loved the movie, or hated it, or abstained like me, you might consider doing the same. (Hope House and Newhouse are a couple of worthy shelters in this area who can put your gift to much-needed use.)  Any excuse is a good excuse to do good.