Friday, July 18, 2014

Don't read this if you're scared of needles!



How did I end up on the floor of my office on a Wednesday morning with a whole bunch of acupuncture needles stuck in me?  Believe me, I wondered the exact same thing as I lay there. The day had started so very normally.  Being in the final throes of vacation preparation, I was an extremely efficient pastoral machine. Sermons had been planned and written, along with a few articles that would be published in my absence. With a few days to go, I was tending to some of the more mundane details. The huge plant in my office needed to be carried to the kitchen so that others could water it.  Sometime after I set the plant on the kitchen table, it happened.

My back did whatever back-y thing it does, and it stopped working. What started as a twinge wouldn’t un-twinge, and I found myself unable to walk or do much of anything.  The floor of my office seemed like the best option for me to wait and hope for this episode to pass.  A staff member handed me a few books and my laptop, and there I lay.  

It’s a little blurry about how the Korean acupuncturist appeared at my side, but I’m pretty sure it had to with Choong-Ho, my very compassionate associate pastor. I think I was more surprised at finding a doctor that made housecalls than I was about the whole acupuncture thing. I had never had acupuncture before, but I was willing to try anything to fix my back. I looked at Choong-Ho, whom I was forcing to stay in the room with me, and said, “Now, acupuncture doesn’t hurt, does it?”  Laughing, he said, “Yes, it does.” 

Here is what I now know about acupuncture. The doctor (a very kind, gentle, and competent man) presses on various pressure points on hands, ears, feet, etc. while asking “Does this hurt?”  When the answer is affirmative, he sticks a needle in that spot. While sticking it in, he asks again, “Does this hurt?” and does not stop inserting the needle until the answer is affirmative. Once all the needles are inserted (where they’ll stay for 20 minutes), he’ll thwack them occasionally if they’ve stopped hurting.  He is very kind and gentle, but finding the painful spots is how he does his work.

While lying needle-fully on my floor, I couldn’t help but laugh. I really do have the most extraordinary job in the world. I have been exposed to experiences that I never, ever would have had otherwise, both for the good and for the bad. (And, yes, I consider my acupuncture adventure under the “good” column.) While talking me through the needles, Choong-Ho pointed to the Eleanor Roosevelt quote I have in my office, “Do one thing every day that scares you.” On Wednesday, that mission was accomplished!  Life is so interesting, and I’m thankful for ways that keep pushing me beyond my comfort zone.

By the way, I was able to get up and make it to my favorite chiropractor’s office after that treatment. I’m still moving slowly, but at least I’m moving. The human body is a complex thing, and I’m thankful for medicinal wisdom from east, west, and anywhere else that helps bring healing.  (Don't look at the pic below if you're squeamish!  I didn't look until after it was all over.)