Thursday, June 19, 2014

Need a Tank of Gas and Food



The hand-lettered sign as I was leaving the health club caught my attention, but not nearly as much as the man, woman, and two young girls standing with the sign.  As I waited for traffic to clear, I saw another vehicle pause to talk. I confess that I was mildly relieved, that there would be no need for me to engage the situation. But the paused vehicle drove away after a few words.  (I wonder what that conversation was about?)  The traffic cleared, and I pulled up to say, “I’ll buy you a tank of gas.”  The man smiled gratefully and herded the family into a minivan with California plates to drive up to the pumps.

We met at the pump, and, in broken English, the man told me the gist of the story. A job in St. Louis had ended, and they were trying to get back to California. His wife and the two cute-as-a-button girls looked at me uncertainly, not understanding what we were saying. I had been wearing a church t-shirt while working out, so I used it as a visual aid to explain that I was buying him a tank of gas on behalf of my church. He smiled gratefully, and we filled his tank.  “Are you hungry?  I have food at church that I can give you, if you’ll just follow me once we’re done.”  After all, his sign had mentioned food, and I kept looking at the two little girls.  I had some toys for them at church, too.  He didn’t seem to understand what I was trying to communicate. “I wish I knew Spanish, so I could explain about the food!” I exclaimed, but the man just looked at me, politely quizzical. I don’t know if it was the language barrier, or if he wanted something more than the peanut butter, cereal, and Vienna sausages that I could offer, but he declined. 

And then he said, “340 miles.  Until gas gone. 340 miles.” Aha.  This tank of gas would not quite get him to the Colorado border. I knew his hope, that I might buy him a gas card to get him closer to his family’s destination. Our church policy wisely allows us to give only an actual tank of gas, not a gift card that could be exchanged for something else. I could help him for one step along his journey, but I couldn’t help him get all the way home. He would have to rely on the next someone else for that. I shook my head no, and he thanked me for the gas. As he and his family climbed back into the van, I wished that I could do more. I wished that I could get him home, get him a job, make sure his family was fed and cared for. I wished that I spoke enough Spanish to explain about the food and my regrets about the gas card.  I wished that I could have understood more about what had them standing in Blue Springs on a Wednesday afternoon clutching a sign. Like every clergyperson who meets a string of people with material needs that can’t be met, I wished. 

As I stood there wishing, they drove off. And suddenly, one Spanish phrase that I knew came to my mind, too late to speak to them: “Dios bendiga.” My wishing became a prayer, a prayer for God’s blessing. When it comes down to it, that’s pretty much the best I have to offer anyway.