Monday, February 11, 2013

Sally for Pope?



When I arrived at church this morning, I announced to all who were within earshot my official intention to run for Pope. Well, actually, my announcement may have involved the term “Pope-ette.”  For some reason, no one felt a need to offer to help me pack up my office in anticipation of my move to the Vatican.  

Ignoring my audience’s lack of enthusiasm, I went into my office to start typing my resume. I saw the message light on my phone, a call from someone I haven’t seen in a long, long time. My curiousity was piqued, and I returned the call.  This person was calling to apologize for a very minor slight that was over a decade old.  Frankly, at the time I had understood the person’s actions and had taken no offense. I was touched deeply by this person’s willingness to find me and call me after all of these years.  The rest of the phone call was getting caught back up on the many events in our families’ lives in the intervening years.  What a delightful gift to begin the week!

On further reflection, I hereby renounce my candidacy for the papacy.  This life that I have the privilege of living is too full of unexpected blessings to trade it in on some other life.  Someone else can wear the nifty hats and run the Vatican, I am thankful today to be exactly where God has put me.