Monday, May 23, 2011

Storms

Yesterday was my first time ever to be in Iowa, Nebraska, and, now, South Dakota. The sky is huge up here. We watched a storm to our west, hoping to get to our hotel before it got to us. We did. We felt mildly proud about outracing the storm as we checked into our Sioux Falls hotel.

And then the news began to pour in. While we were merrily outrunning one storm, an entire community lay in the path of a terribly huge storm. We got to our hotel safely; Joplin is “a city in ruins,” with fatalities still uncounted.

Any crisis is a crisis for all, but Joplin seems much closer. My son drove through there the day before, and we had been through there the week before. There are a lot of good people down there, some of whom I happen to know. Even though I’m on the road, I’m sticking a little closer to Facebook than usual. I want to stay in touch.

Many prayers for Joplin and those persons who were unable to outrun a storm. May God surround you with tender care during these days.