Thursday, March 24, 2011

The Big Easy

This week has been the first time that I’ve been to this part of the nation since coming for Hurricane Katrina disaster relief. Rather than coming to clean out flood-ravaged homes, this time I’m here with other United Methodist clergywomen from the South Central Jurisdiction. (Roughly, the SCJ encompasses Missouri and Kansas and all states immediately below them down to the Gulf of Mexico- plus a quick grab for Nebraska up above.) We have worshiped together, prayed together, heard some great keynote speakers, and begun to talk about possibilities for our next female bishop(s). In other words, we have done some good and important work together.

I was asked to be part of a panel. “I Am Woman, I Am Clergy, I Am Tired.” I enjoyed the opportunity to think back on the years of having three young children in the home, while trying to serve a church to the best of my ability. I remembered a book that Andy and I saw back in the ’80’s: Having It All. . Just Not All at Once. Sometimes, something as minute as the title of a book can have a huge impact on lives, and those words became a guiding principle for us. We both made career choices in line with our priority for our family. For me, getting to work less than full time for 11 years was a wonderful gift. I remember still how tiring those days with young children were, even working part time.

In the spirit of rest and renewal, I’ve been able to find some time and space for play while down here. I’ve enjoyed exploring many shops and restaurants in New Orleans with some dear friends. Street musicians have kept a swing in my step as I walk. A statue that turned out to be a living person made me jump. Sitting by the side of the Mississippi by day and on the outside balcony of a restaurant at night has offered great opportunities for thinking and sightseeing.

One of our speakers reported that a man on the airplane mocked her for coming to a gathering of clergywomen. It clearly was some sort of boondoggle, he told her. Boondoggle? I had to look up that word to remind myself of its definition: “An unnecessary or wasteful project or activity.” Hmmm . . . getting to hear someone preach besides me . . . reflecting back on some important years of my life and perhaps offering some insight to others coming along . . . walking in the sunshine and fresh air, with a spring in my step . . . being with others who understand the unique joys and challenges of this preaching life . . . I don’t think the words “unnecessary” or “wasteful” describe the experience of this week. But “blessing” surely does.