Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Seeinese

I first learned the term in seminary, I believe. In conversations with classmates, we would speak of “C & E’s” with disdain. The term is shorthand for “Christmas and Easters,” meaning those church members who only show up on those two holidays. In discussions with classmates, we laid the problems of the church solidly at the feet of the C & E’s. After all, if “those people” only attended more regularly and gave more generously, then we would have no attendance or budgetary problems at our churches. Their lack of faithfulness was not only harming themselves, but it was mortally wounding all of Christianity.

I am glad to say that the years have brought me new perspectives in many areas, including this one. After all, we all know that families are complicated. At the holidays, there are those who love every minute of the family gatherings, who revel in the chance to be with their kinfolks. And there are others at the same gathering who are counting the seconds until they get to retreat to the blissful silence of their own homes.

Why, then, should I be judgmental of those whose faith life does not mirror mine exactly? For all I know, the person who is in church only twice a year works at a Sunday job and has had to take precious time off to make it to church that often. Someone else might have been so wounded by the church years ago that it has taken a huge act of faith to step into the door even once a year. Another person might feel so busy or burdened with everyday life that adding regular worship into the mix would be the straw that would break the camel’s back. I cannot know the situation of every person who walks into the door, and so I certainly will not waste my time judging that which I cannot know.

Instead, I can’t wait to welcome anyone who comes through our doors on Christmas Eve! Depending on weather, we are expecting somewhere around 1500 people. Our worship leaders, musicians, ushers, and many others have been working on making sure that there is room for everyone, and that all of our guests feel welcome. Our greatest hope and prayer is that someone out there might hear the Good News in a way that will give them a glimpse of hope, and maybe even change their lives. All we can do is put out the welcome mat as much as possible, and trust that God will do the rest. We’re all in this life together, and I pray that there are people out there who will find their way home on Friday night.

You see, I don’t call them “C & E’s” anymore. I call them “family.”