Sunday, August 29, 2010

Phone Number

Friday was my first true “day off” in my new home. I had fun doing some arranging and decorating, which is a huge step up from the utilitarian unpacking of the past week and a half. I still don’t know where everything is, but the stuff I have found is mostly where I want it to be.

There was only one problem. It’s been happening regularly since we got our telephone hooked up. Apparently, our brand-spanking-new telephone number belonged to someone else not very long ago. And they are getting calls, lots of calls. Many of their friends and family members are looking for them, in addition to the a/c repair guy, who finally has the part they ordered.

I’m sorry I’m not of much help in this situation. I don’t know how to find the people who used to have this phone number, all I know is that I am not them. I actually find myself vaguely worried about these folks. What is going on in their world that their friends don’t know how to find them? Did some financial crisis cause them to lose their telephone service? Did they ever get their air conditioner working?

Even though I don’t know who had this number, though, I’m not really that worried. All of the things that I don’t know are known by the God who made each of us. At the risk of sounding preacher-cheesy, God’s got my number, and God’s surely got theirs---