Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Daily Grace and Its Opposite



Each day during Lent, I’ve been intentional about paying attention to moments of grace in each day. When I find one, I take a moment to say, “Aha! That’s just the right amount of grace to get me through this day.” (Check out 2nd Corinthians 12:9, “My grace is a sufficient for you. . . “)

Yesterday was a challenge, as I encountered two people who provided the opposite of grace. (Neither encounter, by the way, was with a person in my church.) One person had been very hurt and wounded by an event with someone else which, in reality, did not happen in the way in which they thought they had. Their hurt was real, but the event itself was not. No amount of explanation could help them see that what they thought was reality wasn’t, and I realized they were too invested in their hurt feelings to be able to accept the truth.

The other encounter was later in the day, related to this political thing that I’m doing. Someone sought me out to sit next to me at a meeting, only to spend the meeting whispering unkind things to me. His parting shot when I was finally able to leave was to call me “kiddo;” not in the “hey, we’re just pals” sense of the word, but in the denigrating “your little mind certainly can’t comprehend the big things we’ve been talking about” sense of the word. I almost responded with, “Hey, buddy, that’s ‘Reverend Doctor Kiddo’ to you,” but discretion prevailed and I left.

Sheesh. Some days, and people, are like that. 

In the middle of these grace-less events, I went on Facebook for my once daily check-in. (Another Lenten discipline is to do Facebook only once daily. I’ve missed some posts, I’m sure, but I feel a lot freer from the obsessive checking on who’s doing what, and who’s liking what I’m doing.) While on Facebook, I saw a campaign by one of our teachers in the public schools. Jaime Guthrie is seeking reading books for kids in her class who are reading at below grade level. Since they’re below grade level, her standard classroom books are not at the right level. (Go to DonorsChoose.org and look for her classroom for more info or to donate.) And I remembered the honorarium I had received for doing a funeral recently, and I remembered the man, Harry Helgason, and how much he loved children.

On the spur of the moment, I donated that honorarium to that project. Now, children will have books to read, and Harry’s family will receive classroom thank you notes for this gift in his memory. It makes me smile to think about it, and I hope it makes them smile when they hear about it. 

It was just the right amount of grace to get me through the day.

Every other day during Lent, I’ve been watching for the grace done to me. Yesterday, I discovered that the grace sufficient for the day might sometimes come from me instead of being done to me. It doesn’t matter the source of the grace. Grace is always grace, and it’s always enough.